Below is a terrific ice-breaker contributed by one of our TIES Teacher Corps Members. It is an effective way to begin your school year’s evolution unit. This ice-breaker also fits into the important strategy of getting the students to really engage and think before content is delivered.
- Laminate the papers attached.
- Cut the little sentences into individual pieces and put them in a baggy.
- Pass out the little bits of paper and the Fact or Fiction Column handout.
- Ask the students to place the little rectangles with the sentences under the Fact column or Fiction column. If they can’t decide, the rectangle goes in between the columns, on the line.
- The class discusses their ideas.
- Finally, hand out the paper titled, “ALL are myths! – go over each one and discuss why they are a myth.” All of them are myths!!
This activity was modified using info from the National Center for Science
Education (NCSE). It’s a good website to check out if your students are anxious about learning evolution.